Around Lake Aviemore...

Last night I went to bed wondering whether to change my route. The itinerary I planned was always an ambitious one with two passes in the first few days, and my legs are not adapting as quickly as expected. But I had anticipated this could happen and have built plenty of options into the route.

I deferred the decision until this morning, and over a generous breakfast opted for the scenic A2O route. A little north of Kurow I reached Lake Waitaki, the first of a series of dams build to provide hydro-electric power.


Soon after I reached Lake Aviemore, and crossing the wall to the opposite bank, found my self on a flat, smooth, and all but deserted road.


The road wound its way along the lake shore, with dozens of camping sites scattered amongst the trees just starting to show the colours of autumn. The A2O guide was right - this is a fabulous ride.


At the end of Lake Aviemore there was a stiff climb up to the wall of the Benmore dam, and after crossing to the other side an exhilarating descent. The entrance to the power station is marked by a section of the penstock pipe. 

The actual penstock pipes are framed dead centre. 


It was an easy cruise the last few kilometers into the little lakeside holiday town of Otematata. There were not many accommodation options but I quickly set up in a nice is somewhat expensive room.


No comments:

Post a Comment