Wanaka - the easy way...

Dinner at Lake Ohau Lodge was an interesting affair, with many of the guests cycling the A2O route by various different means, some in organised groups, other solo or in family groups. There was much to talk about.

The rain returned during the night and in again briefly morning. Knowing the track was already muddy I elected not to ride the A2O section back to Omarama, and returned by road, crazy with Good Friday traffic.

Now I was in a quandary - because the of condition of the back roads and fords in the high country after all the rain, and the continuing poor weather, it was risky for me to ride the route I'd planned for the next three days. But I couldn't bypass it either since Wanaka, my next destination was so busy with holiday makers that even the camping grounds were booked out. I had no choice but to stay put until the end of the busy Easter holiday.

And it is a 125km ride to Wanaka, across the Lindis Pass. I've done it twice before and was not feeling motivated to do it again, especially in Easter holiday traffic. 

So I have booked a cheap room in the local pub for a couple of nights, and bought a bus ticket to Wanaka. I will resume riding from there.


1 comment: