Thar's gold in them hills...

Millers Flat would have been the logical end of the ride through the Roxburgh Gorge - if the boat had been running. But the boat was not running, so I took a shuttle.

John and Marise - my hosts at the Millers Flat holiday park were very welcoming and made my short stay a pleasant one. I'd heard about them on other cycling blogs, they are lovely people and deserve every success. If you are riding the Roxburgh Gorge/Clutha Gold Trails, do pay them a visit.

After a last cappuccino with John and Marise, I set off on the Clutha Gold Trail, along the banks of the mighty Clutha River rising from Lake Wanaka. The river has an impressive volume and rate of flow, and for much of its length the trail passes through a deep gorge. 

It's incredibly peaceful and an easy flowing ride along the hard-packed track. There are many relics of the gold rush days scattered along the way, and I was surprised to discover there are still people fossicking for gold in the river to this day.




After a lunch break at Beaumont I continued along the trail, which leaves the river and climbs steadily to a short tunnel, then after an easy downhill cruise I rolled into Lawrence in the mid afternoon.

I'm probably going to end my cycling here, as the weather bureau has forecast the arrival of the year's first winter blast. It's going to be wet and cold and windy - conditions I have have no desire to cycle in while this cold I'm suffering persists. So I'll probably be getting the shuttle back to Dunedin on Monday.  



No comments:

Post a Comment